The Holme Moss Fell Race is an AL category fell race in the northern fringes of the Peak District National Park.
Sponsored by Brooklands Nurseries, Tel: 01484 683891
Download course map here
Maps: OS Peak District (1:25,000) Sheet OL1, or OS Landranger Series (1:50,000) Sheet 110.
Registration and the Race Finish are both at the Cartworth Moor Cricket Club at Cartworth Moor, HD9 2TU, about one mile south of Holmfirth, grid reference is SE134067
Note: If Coronavirus restrictions are still in place, these race details will be updated
How to Enter:
On-line entries via SI Entries (Link available when entries are open)
£10 for FRA members
£14 for non-members
Entries on the day
£12 for FRA members
£16 for non-members
Entries on the day will be accepted subject to the race limit of 200 entries. Check this page or sientries for updates. Please pre-fill the form to save time.
Checkpoints (and Grid Refs):
Race Start is SE133059, about half a mile from Registration.
- SE096036 – Holme Moss (drinks station)
- SE085030 - Tooleyshaw Moor
- SK070996 – Crowden (drinks station)
- SE068009 – Bareholme Moss
- SE057016 – Laddow Rocks (drinks station – hopefully)
- SE078047 – Black Hill
- SE096036 – Holme Moss (drinks station), then follow the reverse of the start of the route
- SE130046 – Moorland track meets road
- SE134067 – Finish – where you registered, about half a mile beyond the start
- From the Start, the track descends and then rises to meet the road (130050). Bear left on the road to SE130046.
- Turning off the road through the gate on the right, a track leads onto open moorland. The flagged course descends steeply to Riding Wood, turns left along a path down to the bottom of Ramsden Clough (121043) and crosses the stream via a metal bridge. Ascend to the ruined wall corner then bear right, keeping the wall on your left, above the forestation before turning left, through a gap in the wall. Climb on the flagged route before turning right to contour (approx. 400m) below Twizle Head Moss skyline. Ascend left just before the gate directly below Holme Moss and follow fence up to Car Park on the A6024 at Holme Moss. Keep left at the car park. Follow the road for a short distance before crossing the road (using the race marshals) to the drinks station and checkpoint 1 in the upper car park. (096036).
- Leaving the drinks station over the stile and left parallel to the road before dropping directly down to Heyden Brook, cross and climb to the top of Tooleyshaw Moor to Check Point 2 (085030) using the fence stile en-route. The course now follows the path over White Low (you must follow flags on a short section to avoid badly eroded section), West End Moss and Hey Moss and down to the drinks station and Check Point 3 at Crowden (070996).
- From Crowden take the flagged track up the valley to the right of Crowden Brook. Cross the footbridge on the left and follow the flagged path which later ascends steeply to the peat banking near the top of Bareholme Moss and Check Point 4 (068009).
- Contour left from Check Point 4 and then descend steeply (taking great care to avoid the small cliffs at the bottom) to Crowden Great Brook and take the steep climb to the top of Laddow Rocks and Check Point 5 (057016) on the Pennine Way. Turn north following the Pennine Way to the Trig Point and Check Point 6 at Black Hill (078047).
- From Black Hill the flagged course passes around Heyden Head back to the parking area at Holme Moss and Check Point 7 (096036). It is very important that runners keep precisely to the flagged course from Black Hill to Heyden Head. This area is being regenerated by Natural England and any damage to the sensitive peat banking will seriously jeopardise the future of this event. In the interest of the continued permission to run the race in future years, you are asked not to train on this section before the race.
- On the final leg, cross the road (again using the race marshals), turn left down the road and access the moor again via the stile following the fence downhill to the gate below (and in front of) the car park. Descend a short steep slope and then contour along to Ramsden Clough following the same route as the outward journey.
- Cross the stream and follow the taped route to the left alongside Riding Wood, later ascending back up the very steep climb onto the moor, along the track to the road and Check Point 8 (130046). Turn left down the road and then take the track to the right (130050). This track leads directly to the Finish at Cartworth Moor Cricket Club about 1 mile away.
These notes are for general guidance only. This is a challenging category AL fell race suitable only for experienced fell runners. Navigation skills are essential and FRA safety requirements are mandatory. Runners should be capable of completing the course in 5 hours 30 minutes. There will be cut-offs at Holme Moss, Crowden, Bareholme and Laddow Rocks where marshals’ instructions must be obeyed. The sweepers will leave at 11.05 am. No-one is allowed to start after this time.
Holme Valley Mountain Rescue Team will be providing safety cover for the race and we will be organising a raffle in aid of the team funds. Please bring some money to buy a ticket (£1) at registration and help this essential organisation.
Results will be on this website
Campsites We now have 2 campsites near to the Registration at the Cricket Club:
- Whitegate Leisure Camping and Caravan Site. Whitegate Road, Holmfirth, HD9 2TH. Secure site with private access, hard standing for up to 12 caravans and campers, electric hook ups, hot showers, toilet facilities, disabled facilities, On site management, Children’s play area, Dogs welcome. Contact Telephone Numbers: - Farm: 01484 688080, Mob: 07786 707890 http://www.whitegateleisure.co.uk
- Rising Sun Farm, Camping and Caravan Club registered. 2 minutes from Registration. Rising Sun Farm, Gill Lane, Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, HD9 2TU, http://www.risingsunfarmcamping.co.uk/