2023 – HHAC Fell Championship – Races
It was great to see pretty much a full racing calendar in 2022 (Results here), after the 2 previous years unfortunately had to be scrubbed for obvious reasons, so here’s to more of the same in 2023!
The format and scoring system for the 2023 Championship are as in 2022, so it’s your best 7 races from 15 to count, which must include two of each length (ie. Short, Medium and Long). First Harrier back takes maximum 25 points, 2nd 23 points, 3rd 22 points and so on, with all participants receiving a minimum of 1 point. There are separate competitions for senior men and ladies.
As we take part in a number of fell relays throughout the year, there will be an additional 15 points awarded for those making themselves available and competing at the events. And to try and encourage Holmfirth representation throughout the year at the English and British Championship races not included in the Harriers championship, further points will be awarded to those taking part, regardless of finishing position!
And if you can’t race, but volunteer to sweep one of our races, then there’s some Brucie Bonus points up for grabs as well, so no-one misses out!
Harriers Fell Championship race calendar:
- January 15 – Stanbury Splash (BM) – Penistone Country Park, Haworth.
- February 18 – Flower Scar (AM) – Todmorden Cricket Club. Pre-entry now open (from 2nd November); EOD only if race not full – see race website for details.
- March 5 – Ian Roberts (BM) – Marsden Moor.
- March 26 – Lads Leap (AS) – Crowden Campsite, off Woodhead Pass Road.
- April 19 – Herod Farm (AS) – Glossop.
- April 29 – Three Peaks (AL) – Horton-in-Ribblesdale, North Yorks. Pre-entry only (now open & closing 10th April or when 999 entry limit reached if earlier). Please check qualification requirements before entering.
- May 13 – Fairfield Horseshoe (AM) – Rydal Hall, Ambleside. English Championship Counter. Online entries from 1st March 2023
- May 21 – Calderdale Way Relay
- June 3 – Duddon Valley (AL) – Seathwaite, Duddon Valley, Lake District. English Championship Counter. Online entry TBA.
- July 1 – Heptonstall Festival (AS) – Heptonstall, nr. Hebden Bridge.
- July 23 - Holme Moss (AL) – Cartworth Moor CC, Holme Valley
- August 10 – Denis Stitt (AS) – Cartworth Moor CC, Holme Valley
- August 20 – Sedbergh Hills (AL) – People’s Hall, Sedbergh. British/English Championship Counter. Online entries from mid-June 2023.
- September 10 – Lost Shepherd (BL) – Mytholmroyd.
- September 16 – Cross Keys Road & Fell Relay – Uppermill, Saddleworth.
- September 23 – Shelf Moor (AS) – Glossop. English Championship Counter. Online entries TBA. Separate Mens & Ladies races.
- October 1 – Hodgson Brothers Mountain Relay – Patterdale.
- October 21 – UKA/FRA British Fell Relay Championships – Keswick.
- November 12 – Leg It Round Lathkil (BM) – Over Haddon, nr. Bakewell, Peak District.
- November 26 – Lee Mill Relay – Rossendale Valley, Lancs.
Additional British & English Championship races:
- February 11 – Long Mynd Valleys (AM) – Church Stretton, Shropshire. English Championship Counter.
- March 25 – Mourne Marauder (AM) – Northern Ireland (British Champs).
- July 1 – Meall an t-Suide (AS) – Scotland (British Champs).
- July 23 – Chapelfell Top (AS) – St. John’s Chapel, North Pennines. English Championship Counter.
- August 5 – Maesgwm Detour (AM) – Wales (British Champs).